The 2015-2016 season marks the 69th Anniversary of the Mississauga Hockey League which began as the Toronto Township Hockey League and was formed in 1946 with Cooksville, Streetsville, Erindale, Clarkson, Lorne Park, Lakeview, Cloverleaf, Malton and Burnhamthorpe. Five divisions including Intermediate, Juvenile, Minor Midget, PeeWee and Tadpole were featured. Games were played on outdoor ice in Erindale, Burnhamthorpe, Forsters Rink in Cooksville, Dixie, Malton, Port Credit, and at Lester’s Arena south of Brampton.
The Toronto Township Hockey League affiliated with the Toronto Hockey League (now the Greater Toronto Hockey League) in 1956 and by 1967 boundaries were established and 155 teams from Applewood, Burnhamthorpe, Clarkson, Cloverleaf, Cooksville, Dixie, Erindale, Lakeview, Lyndwood, Malton and Port Credit were using four covered arenas – Port Credit, Dixie, Huron Park and Streetsville.
In 1983, the New Concept ‘A’ level was formed. This was a separate level of ‘A’ hockey from that offered by the MHL Associations and was more akin to ‘AA’ calibre. New Concept teams were not permitted to enter ‘A’ tournaments and could only enter ‘AA’ or higher. New Concept teams (with sponsoring organizations in brackets) were known as the Mississauga Algonquins (Clarkson), Mississauga Cree (Cawthra Park and Dixie), Mississauga Navajo (Cooksville), Mississauga Iroquois (Erindale), Mississauga Hurons (Port Credit), Mississauga Mohawks (Malton and Meadowvale) and Mississauga Ojibwa (Lorne Park). The New Concept level merged back with the regular MHL in 1988.
As Mississauga has grown and changed, so too has the MHL. Today, parents no longer have to travel outside the City for practices and games. The league offers hockey on six different levels of skill – ‘A’, Red, White, Blue, Green and Gold (Tyke and Minor Novice only) thus ensuring that hockey is available to every youngster in the City of Mississauga.
3615 Laird Road. Unit 14